Connecticut Sun (0-0) vs. Las Vegas Aces (0-0)
At Mohegan Sun Arena
Sunday, May 20th, 1:00 p.m. ET
Last Game: The Connecticut Sun won 74-58 over the Atlanta Dream in their final preseason game on May 11th at Webster Bank Arena. The Las Vegas Aces fell 68-55 to the Dallas Wings in their final preseason game on May 13th at College Park Center.
Players to Watch: Connecticut – Jonquel Jones led Connecticut in both scoring (15.4 ppg) and rebounding (11.9 rpg) last season…Alyssa Thomas led the Sun in assists (4.5 apg), was tied for the team lead in steals (1.6 spg) and ranked second in scoring (14.8 ppg) and rebounding (6.8 rpg)… Jasmine Thomas finished tied for the team lead in steals (1.6 spg), second in assists (4.3 apg) and third in scoring (14.2 ppg)…Chiney Ogwumike returns after missing 2017 with an Achilles injury…Courtney Williams averaged 12.3 points with 142 rebounds last season.
Las Vegas – A’ja Wilson was the No. 1 pick in the 2018 WNBA Draft…Kayla McBride led San Antonio in scoring (15.4 ppg), and finished third on the team in assists (2.6 apg) last season…Isabelle Harrison led the Stars in rebounding (6.4 rpg) and was second in scoring (11.4 ppg)…Moriah Jefferson led the team in assists (4.4 apg) and steals (1.6 spg), and was third in scoring (9.1 ppg).
- Sunday will be Las Vegas’ first regular season game since relocating from San Antonio after the 2017 season.
- The Connecticut Sun were 3-0 against San Antonio last season.
- McBride and Kelsey Plum are still playing overseas and are on the temporarily suspended list. Harrison is also on the temporarily suspended list because of an injury.
- McBride (17.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.0 apg), Harrison (11.3 ppg, 4.7 rpg) and Plum (10 ppg, two rpg, 3.3 apg) led the Stars in the three games against the Sun.
- Jefferson is with the team but will be in street clothes as she continues to recover from offseason knee surgery.
- Williams (18.3 ppg, 6.7 rpg), Alyssa Thomas (14.7 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 4.7 apg, 4.0 spg) and Jones (10.0 ppg, 9.3 rpg) led the Sun in the three games against San Antonio.
- Jones set a new WNBA record as she led the league with 403 rebounds last year.
- Alyssa Thomas was tied for fourth in the WNBA in steals (52) and sixth in assists (147). She recorded a career-high seven steals against the Stars on July 5, 2017.
- Jasmine Thomas finished sixth in the league in steals (51) and eighth in assists (139).
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller:
“I’m excited about the first game of the season. Obviously still a work in progress. Across the league, none of us have our entire playbooks in. We have a tough challenge right off the bat with a very large Vegas team that’s going to put (A’ja) Wilson, the number one overall draft pick, on the floor with quality centers around her. They’re going to play really big out of the gate at the wing position so we’ve got to take care of business on the boards and understand they’re going to pound the ball against us. We’re excited to see where we are at. Every season has a starting point and we’ll see exactly what we need to keep working on and get better at after game one.”
Next Game: The Connecticut Sun will host the Los Angeles Sparks at Mohegan Sun Arena on Thursday, May 24th at 7:00 p.m. ET. For more details or to purchase tickets, visit connecticutsun.com.