Connecticut Sun (5-5) at New York Liberty (7-4)
At Madison Square Garden
Friday, June 23rd, 7:30 p.m. ET
Watch on CSN* (*tape delay, Saturday 8 p.m., 1 a.m.)
Last Game: The Connecticut Sun won 98-93 on the road over the Minnesota Lynx on Saturday, June 17th. The New York Liberty won 102-93 in overtime over the Dallas Wings on Friday, June 16th.
Players to Watch: Connecticut – Jonquel Jones leads the Sun this season in both scoring (15.1 ppg) and rebounding (12.1 rpg). She posted 16 points, eight rebounds, two assists, four steals and four blocks in Saturday’s win over Minnesota. Alyssa Thomas is second on the team in both scoring (13.2 ppg) and rebounding (5.3 rpg). She had 20 points, eight rebounds and eight assists against the Lynx. Jasmine Thomas leads the team in assists (4.8 apg) and ranks third in scoring (12.9 ppg). She also added 20 points, six rebounds, six assists and three blocks in the game.
New York – Tina Charles leads the Liberty this season in scoring (20.5 ppg) and rebounding (9.0 rpg). She had 25 points, 10 rebounds, three assists and four blocks in last week’s win over Dallas. Sugar Rodgers ranks second on the team in scoring (13.4 ppg) and assists (2.7 apg). She had 19 points and five rebounds against the Wings. Shavonte Zellous is fourth on New York in scoring (12.9 ppg). She had 28 points, eight rebounds, six assists and two steals in the game.
- The Connecticut Sun won 96-76 over the New York Liberty in their first meeting of the season on June 14th.
- Courtney Williams (22 points, six rebounds), Jonquel Jones (19 points, 12 rebounds and three assists) and Alyssa Thomas (18 points, six rebounds and five assists) led the way for the Sun in their win over New York (6/14).
- Tina Charles (17 points, five rebounds), Shavonte Zellous (16 points) and Sugar Rodgers (12 points, four rebounds) were the top performers for the Liberty against the Sun in their first meeting of the season (6/14).
- Through 10 games, Jonquel Jones leads the WNBA in rebounding (12.1 rpg). She also recorded her third straight game in double-figure scoring (seventh of the season) against Minnesota and was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week (6/12-6/18) for the first time in her career.
- Alyssa Thomas posted a season-high 20 points and a career-high eight assists against the Lynx. She surpassed 1,000 career points in the game.
- Jasmine Thomas finished with a season-high 20 points and season-high-tying six rebounds, and has now scored in double-figures in six out her last seven games. She also ranks seventh in the WNBA in assists (4.8 apg) and second in three-point shooting percentage (.486).
- Connecticut has won four straight, and finished with season highs for assists (26) and field goals made (41) against Minnesota. It was the second straight game that the Sun finished shooting better than 50% from the field.
- In the last three games, Connecticut has averaged 99.3 points per game while shooting a combined (.519) from the field during that span.
- The Sun currently lead the league in team three-point percentage (.417).
- Tina Charles ranks third in the WNBA in scoring (20.5 ppg) and rebounding (9.0 rpg). Her 25 point, 10 rebound effort against Dallas was her fifth double-double of the season (third in the last four games) as well as her sixth game scoring 20 or more points.
- New York is currently allowing the lowest field goal percentage (.405) to opponents in the WNBA.
- The Liberty lead the league in rebounding average (37.7 rebounds per game).
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller
On his first win against the Lynx this season.
“A great game against a really talented team. We competed all the way to the end and answered their tough shots. We lost three close games this year by two points but this young team is coming together and learning how to win close games and staying in attack mode.”
Next Game: The Connecticut Sun tip-off against the Dallas Wings at College Park Center on Sunday, June 25th at 4:30 p.m. ET. For more details, visit www.connecticutsun.com.