Connecticut Sun (17-9) at Atlanta Dream (10-18)
Tuesday, August 15th, 7:00 p.m. ET
Watch Live on CSN
Last Game: The Connecticut Sun won 96-88 at home over the Dallas Wings on August 12th. The Atlanta Dream fell 84-68 to the San Antonio Stars at AT&T Center on August 12th.
Players to Watch: Connecticut – Jonquel Jones leads Connecticut in both scoring (16.0 ppg) and rebounding (11.7 rpg). She had 19 points, 16 rebounds, four assists, four steals and five blocks in Saturday’s win over Dallas. Alyssa Thomas leads the Sun in assists (4.8 apg) and ranks second in both scoring (14.5 ppg) and rebounding (6.7 rpg). She had 21 points, a career-high 13 rebounds and four assists against the Wings. Jasmine Thomas leads the team in steals (1.7 spg), is second in assists (4.6 apg) and third in scoring (14.3 ppg).
Atlanta – Tiffany Hayes leads Atlanta in scoring (15.9 ppg), is second in assists (2.4 apg) and third in rebounding (4.2 rpg). She had three points and a rebound in Saturday’s loss to San Antonio. Brittney Sykes ranks second on the Dream in scoring (12.8 ppg) and finished with 28 points, four rebounds and three assists against the Stars. Layshia Clarendon leads the team in assists (6.9 apg) and is third in scoring (11.3 ppg).
• The victory over Dallas, combined with Atlanta’s loss in San Antonio clinched a playoff berth for the Connecticut Sun.
• Connecticut can win the season series Tuesday. The teams split the first two meetings of the season.
• The Sun lead the league in both scoring average (87.2 ppg) and three point field goal percentage (.383), rank third in rebounding (36.0 rpg) and fourth in assists (18.12 apg).
• In the last meeting between the teams, Jasmine Thomas recorded a career-high 11 assists in a win on June 10th.
• Alyssa Thomas had her third double-double of the season with a season-high 21 points and career-high 13 rebounds. It was her third game this season with 20 or more points and her seventh straight game in double figures.
• Jones finished with her sixth straight double-double (16th of the season) against the Wings while matching a career high with five blocks. She was also 11 of 14 from the free throw line (.785%), a career-high for both free throws and free throw attempts. Jones now has 22 games scoring in double figures this season.
• Courtney Williams recorded her fifth straight game in double figures (19th of the season) against Dallas.
• Shekinna Stricklen posted her 10th game this season in double-figure scoring with 15 points.
• Alex Bentley finished with her fourth straight game in double figures (8th of the season) with 12 points.
• Atlanta allows the lowest three point field goal percentage in the league to their opponents (.300).
• Sykes’ 28 points against San Antonio was a career-high.
• Elizabeth Williams is ninth in the WNBA in rebounding (7.3 rpg).
• Clarendon is ranked second in the league in assists (6.9 apg).
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller:
On making the playoffs:
“The locker room certainly has bigger goals so now we’ll fight for position and a very, very important potential bye. For the four teams that get byes in the first round. Ultimately, as my GM half, I want to try and create something that has sustained success and everywhere I’ve been as a head coach, that has been a big part of that plan. This was just step one and I hope we have the opportunity to be in the playoffs every year.”
NEXT HOME GAME: Friday, August 18th vs. New York Liberty @ 7 PM | Get Tickets