- The Connecticut Sun defeated the Phoenix Mercury, 77-64. With the win, Connecticut sweeps Phoenix, 3-0, during the 2022 regular season.
- The Sun moves up to 22-10 on the season, while the Mercury falls to 13-19.
- Jonquel Jones tallied a double-double with 14 points, 10 rebounds and one steal to lead Connecticut.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith finished with 16 points, one assist and two blocks to lead Phoenix in the effort.
- The Sun grabbed a season-high 54 rebounds in tonight’s victory, two shy from breaking a franchise record for total rebounds in a game.
- The Sun outscored the Mercury, 13-10, heading into the first media timeout of the contest. Natisha Hiedeman led Connecticut in the opening minutes with five points.
- Connecticut led Phoenix, 28-25, after the first quarter of action. Hiedeman led the Sun in with eight points, one assist and two steals. Jones added seven points and four rebounds in the first ten minutes of play.
- The Mercury opened the second quarter on an 8-0 run to take a 33-28 lead over the Sun with 8:01 remaining in the half. Phoenix nailed two triples in that run.
- Connecticut responded on a 7-2 run to tie the game at 35-35, forcing Phoenix to burn a timeout with 5:06 to go in the second quarter. Courtney Williams had five of the Sun’s seven points in that stretch.
- After two quarters of play, the Sun and Phoenix were tied, 45-45. Jones led Connecticut with 12 points and eight rebounds in the first half. Diamond DeShields finished the first with 14 points, one rebound and one assist to lead Phoenix.
- The Sun were 13-36 (36.1%) from the floor in the first half, while the Mercury shot 16-35 (45.7%) from the field through twenty minutes.
- Connecticut held a one-point advantage over Phoenix, 53-52, with 4:58 to go in the third quarter. Alyssa Thomas had four of the Sun’s eight points in that stretch out of the locker room.
- The Sun stretched their lead to seven, 60-53, after three quarters of play. They outscored the Mercury, 15-8, out of the locker room.
- Thomas and Brionna Jones each had four third quarter points to lead Connecticut in scoring in the third.
- The Sun opened the fourth quarter on a 11-0 run to take a 71-53 lead over the Mercury with 6:25 remaining in the game.
- Connecticut outscored Phoenix, 17-11, in the fourth quarter to take home the 77-64 victory.
- The Sun outscored the Mercury in the paint (30-26), in second-chance points (20-12), on the fast break points (15-6) and bench points (26-9).
The Connecticut Sun are on the road Sunday, August 7 at 1:00 PM ET at Wintrust Arena for the fourth and final regular season matchup with the Chicago Sky. The Sun will look to avenge last Sunday’s 95-92 overtime loss and also pick up their first win against the Sky since the 2021 playoffs last September.