- The Connecticut Sun defeated the Phoenix Mercury, 87-63, in the first of a two-game series this week.
- The Sun move to 21-10, while the Mercury fall to 13-18 on the year.
- Natisha Hiedeman led the way Connecticut with 16 points, three rebounds, four assists and one steal.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith and Sophie Cunningham each notched 15 points to lead Phoenix in scoring in the effort.
- With one steal in tonight’s contest, Alyssa Thomas moved into third all-time in steals in Connecticut Sun franchise history, tying Taj McWilliams-Franklin with 350 takeaways.
- Thomas notched her second triple-double of the season with 10 points, 12 rebounds and 10 assists. She also passed the 800-assist mark in tonight’s win, now having dished out 804 in her career.
- With four rebounds in tonight’s win, Courtney Williams is now tied with Chiney Ogwumike for ninth all-time in rebounding in Connecticut Sun history, with 712 rebounds.
- The Sun trailed the Mercury, 9-6, headed into the first media timeout of the game. Williams, Hiedeman and Thomas each had a bucket for Connecticut in the opening five minutes.
- Connecticut and Phoenix were tied, 13-13, after the first quarter of action. DeWanna Bonner finished the first with five points, three rebounds and one steal to lead the Sun.
- The Sun’s 13 first quarter points marks a new season-low for first quarter points.
- Connecticut opened the second quarter outscoring Phoenix, 6-4, to take a two-point advantage, 19-17, with 5:44 remaining in the first half.
- The Sun went on a 5-0 run out of the first media timeout of the second quarter to take a 24-17 lead over the Mercury. Hiedeman nailed a triple to lead Connecticut in that stretch.
- Connecticut outscored Phoenix, 22-12, in the second quarter to take a 35-25 lead into halftime. Bonner led all scorers with 10 points, along with four rebounds, two assists and one steal at the break. Diggins-Smith led Phoenix with eight points, one rebound and two assists in the first half.
- This is the third time this season where Connecticut has held an opponent to 25 points or less at halftime.
- The Sun outscored the Mercury in the paint (18-14), in second chance points (5-4), on the fast break (6-2) and in bench points (4-3) through two quarters of play.
- Connecticut led Phoenix, 48-36, with 4:38 remaining in the third quarter. Hiedeman notched five of the Sun’s 13 points in that stretch out of the locker room.
- The Sun took a 57-45 lead into the fourth quarter of the contest, outscoring the Mercury 22-20 in the third. Hiedeman and Williams each had five points to lead Connecticut in scoring out of the break. Thomas added four points and four assists in that period.
- Connecticut opened the fourth outscoring Phoenix, 15-6, taking a 72-51 lead with 5:02 left in the game. Brionna Jones led the Sun in scoring in that stretch with five of her 11 points on the night.
- The Sun outscored the Mercury, 30-18, in the fourth quarter to take home an 87-63 win.
- Seven Sun players scored in double figures in the victory.
- Connecticut finished the night shooting 45.9% (34-74), while holding Phoenix to 35.9% (23-64) from the field.
The Connecticut Sun are back home on Thursday, August 4 at 7:00 PM ET at Mohegan Sun Arena for the second of a two-game series this week against the Phoenix Mercury. The Sun are now 2-0 against the Mercury this season and have won nine out of the last ten contests, dating back to the 2018 season.