- In their opening game of the 2022 WNBA season, the Connecticut Sun visited the New York Liberty in Brooklyn, NY at the Barclays Center. The Sun fell to the Liberty, 81-79.
- Alyssa Thomas led Connecticut in scoring with 25 points and also added seven rebounds, two assists and four steals.
- Sabrina Ionescu led all scorers for New York with 25 points. She also recorded four rebounds, six assists and two steals in the Liberty’s first win of the season.
- The Sun jumped out to an 8-0 start in the first quarter, holding the Liberty scoreless for the first four minutes of the contest. Jones had six of the Connecticut’s eight in their opening run.
- Connecticut held a 19-12 lead over New York after the first ten minutes of play. Jones led the way with six points, one rebound and one assist in the quarter. Natisha Hiedeman added five points off the bench.
- The Sun shot 47.1% from the floor (8-17) and held the Liberty to 23.5% (4-17) in the opening quarter.
- The Liberty started the second quarter on an 8-4 run to cut the Sun lead to three, 23-20 with 5:57 left to play in the half. New York continued their scoring run and took a 38-30 lead into the locker room, outscoring Connecticut 26-11 in the quarter. The Liberty’s Ionescu had 13 points in the second, outscoring the Sun’s team total by two.
- Jones led Connecticut with nine points after the first half. Ionescu led New York with 15 after two.
- At the break, Connecticut was shooting 40% (12-30) from the field compared the New York’s 37.1% (13-35). The Sun dominated the paint in the first half, 22-6, however New York had the edge in second chance baskets 11-4.
- The Sun took charge in the third, outscoring the Liberty 29-20 to gain a one-point edge entering the fourth quarter, 59-58. Alyssa Thomas has 14 third quarter points to get the Connecticut Sun back in front.
- Sun rookie Nia Clouden was a defensive spark off the bench in the third quarter, drawing two offensive fouls on the Liberty.
- The fourth quarter was a back and forth battle, but ultimately the New York Liberty were victorious, outscoring Connecticut 23-20 in the final 10 minutes.
- With four steals in the game, Thomas passed the 300 career steals mark. She now has 301 steals in her WNBA career.
- Jones finished with 15 points, seven rebounds, two assists, two steals and two blocks in the effort.
- Brionna Jones tallied 11 points, five rebounds, two steals and three blocks.
- Despite the two-point defeat, the Sun outscored the Liberty in the paint 44-18, in second chance points 14-11, and in fast break points 24-6.
- New York’s bench outscored Connecticut’s 8-5. The Liberty also made ten three-point field goals to the Sun’s four.
- Connecticut shot 42.2% (27-64) on the night. New York finished shooting 47.5% (28-59) from the field.
The Connecticut Sun open at home on May 14 at 7:00 P.M. EST vs. the Los Angeles Sparks. Connecticut has won three out of five home openers in Uncasville under Head Coach Curt Miller. The team’s first home game as a franchise on May 24, 2003 was an 82-71 loss to the Sparks. The Connecticut Sun is currently celebrating its 20th Anniversary as a franchise this season.
MEDIA AVAILABILITY RECORDING
Recordings here: HERE