Connecticut Sun (20-11) vs. Washington Mystics (17-14)
Capital One Arena
Tuesday, August 29th, 7:30 p.m. ET
Watch Live on CSN
Last Game: The Connecticut Sun fell 96-83 at home to the Chicago Sky on Friday, August 25th. The Washington Mystics fell 83-78 to the Dallas Wings at Capital One Arena on Saturday, August 26th.
Players to Watch: Connecticut – Jonquel Jones leads Connecticut this season in both scoring (15.9 ppg) and rebounding (11.7 rpg). She finished with six points and 11 rebounds in Friday’s loss to Chicago. Alyssa Thomas leads the Sun in assists (4.7 apg), and ranks second in scoring (14.5 ppg) and rebounding (6.7 rpg). She posted 14 points, three rebounds and a steal against the Sky. Jasmine Thomas is second on the team in assists (4.3 apg) and third in scoring (14.4 ppg). She added 11 points and three assists in the game.
Washington – Elena Delle Donne leads Washington this season in scoring (19.1 ppg) and is second in rebounding (6.5 rpg). She finished with 29 points and 11 rebounds in Saturday’s loss to Dallas. Emma Meesseman ranks second on the Mystics in scoring (14.3 ppg) and third in rebounding (6.0 rpg). She had 22 points, six rebounds and three blocks against the Wings. Krystal Thomas leads the team in rebounding (9.3 rpg) and added six points and 10 rebounds in the game.
- Connecticut is 1-1 against Washington this season.
- Both games between the two teams have been decided by four or less points.
- The Sun lead the WNBA in scoring average (87.2 per game), and is second in both three-point percentage (.365) and rebounding (36.45 per game).
- Jones recorded her 21st game with 10 or more rebounds (11) against Chicago, and has now collected double-figure rebounds in nine of the last 11 games for the Sun. She leads the WNBA in rebounding (11.7 rpg).
- Alyssa Thomas recorded her 12th straight game (25th of the season) in double-figure scoring against the Sky. She ranks fifth in the league in assists (4.7 apg).
- Brionna Jones scored a career-high nine points on 4-of-7 shooting along with six rebounds and an assist against Chicago.
- Courtney Williams posted 11 points and six rebounds in the loss. It was her 22nd game scoring in double figures and 16th game of the season with five or more rebounds.
- Alex Bentley finished with 11 points and two steals. It was her ninth game of the season with 10 or more points.
- Washington ranks second in the WNBA in free throw percentage (.838) and third in rebounding (36.06 per game).
- The Mystics commit the fewest turnovers in the league (12.06 per game).
- Delle Donne leads the league in free throw percentage (.946) and ranks fifth in scoring (19.1 ppg).
- Krystal Thomas is third in the WNBA in rebounding (9.3 rpg).
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller:
On the loss to Chicago
“When we looked at this stretch, we thought it was going to be really, really difficult when the schedule came out. We almost got through it, but it caught up to us tonight and we looked like the tired team. They did a really good job of moving, and attacking us. They looked and played how we want to play, really up-tempo, really moving people. Their guards are so talented and such good passers. They can really make you look silly when you’re a little bit slow on rotations, a little bit slow (reacting) to all of the actions. We were hurt with foul trouble to JJ early and just could never get in a rhythm. I give our second unit credit. They gave us some energy in the third quarter. I thought some of our bench played well.”
Next Game: The Connecticut Sun tip-off against the Phoenix Mercury at Talking Stick Resort Arena on Friday, September 1st at 10:00 p.m.ET. For more info, visit www.connecticutsun.com.