Connecticut Sun (12-8) At New York Liberty (9-9)
Madison Square Garden
Wednesday, July 19th, 11:00 a.m. ET
Watch Live on CSN
Last Game: The Connecticut Sun won 89-75 at home over the San Antonio Stars on July 16th. The New York Liberty won 85-55 over the Washington Mystics at Madison Square Garden on July 16th.
Players to Watch: Connecticut – Jonquel Jones leads Connecticut this season in both scoring (15.9 ppg) and rebounding (11.3 rpg). She posted 13 points, six rebounds and two blocks in Sunday’s win over San Antonio. Alyssa Thomas is tied for the lead in assists (4.9 apg), ranks second on the Sun in rebounding (6.5 rpg) and third in scoring (13.8 ppg). She had 13 points, nine rebounds, two assists and two steals against the Stars. Jasmine Thomas is tied for the lead in assists (4.9 apg) and is second on the team in scoring (14.8 ppg). She added 13 points, four assists and two steals in the game.
New York – Tina Charles leads New York in both scoring (20.1 ppg) and rebounding (9.5 rpg). She posted six points, seven rebounds, three assists and a block in Sunday’s win over Washington. Sugar Rodgers is third on the Liberty in both scoring (12.7 ppg) and assists (2.6 apg), and is fourth in rebounding (4.2 rpg). She had 14 points, five assists, four rebounds and two steals against the Mystics. Kiah Stokes ranks second on the team in rebounding (6.6 rpg) and added five points, 10 rebounds, three blocks and two assists in the contest.
- The Connecticut Sun are 2-0 against New York this season.
- The Sun won 96-76 at home over the Liberty on June 14th, and then once again 94-89 at Madison Square Garden on June 23rd.
- Jonquel Jones (20.0 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.0 apg), Jasmine Thomas (18.5 ppg, 6.5 apg, 2.0 rpg) and Alyssa Thomas (15.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 6.5 apg) have led the Sun in the two games against New York thus far.
- Tina Charles (18.5 ppg, 8.0 rpg, 3.5 apg), Shavonte Zellous (17.0 ppg) and Sugar Rodgers (12.5 ppg, 3.5 rpg) have led the way for the Liberty in the two games against Connecticut.
- Jonquel Jones made a season-high three three-point field goals against New York (6/23).
- Tina Charles dished out a season-high six assists against the Sun earlier this season (6/23).
- Connecticut has won 12 of their last 16 games.
- The Sun have the third best assist per turnover ratio in the league (1.40).
- Jonquel Jones recorded her 16th game of the season scoring in double-figures against San Antonio. She currently leads the WNBA in rebounding (11.3 rpg).
- Alex Bentley dished out a season-high seven assists against the Stars.
- Jasmine Thomas ranks third in the league in three-point percentage (.458) and sixth in assists (4.9 apg).
- Alyssa Thomas currently holds the league-high with seven steals against San Antonio (7/5).
- New York leads the league in rebounding (39.06 rpg) and allows the lowest field goal percentage to their opponents (.403).
- Tina Charles is third in the WNBA in both scoring (20.1 ppg) and rebounding (9.5 rpg).
- Sugar Rodgers made her 200th career three-point field goal against Washington.
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller
On the slow start and first half struggles against San Antonio:
“I think last year we, myself included, would have panicked more. I wasn’t always positive towards my coaching staff through some of those struggles in the first half because what we thought could potentially hurt us was hurting us. There’s certainly a level of growth and maturity and leadership from this group that they believe. They weren’t happy with the way they played, they know they didn’t play the type of way they are capable of playing. It’s fun to watch players take ownership. It’s fun to watch players coach themselves. You don’t always have to make magical adjustments as a coaching staff when you have a team that accepts accountability and can look themselves in the mirror. Again, it was a lot of determination, effort and just a higher level of desire in that second half.”
Next Game: The Connecticut Sun return home to host the Chicago Sky at Mohegan Sun Arena on Tuesday, July 25th at 7:00 p.m. ET. Buy Tickets