Connecticut Sun (3-5) vs. New York Liberty (6-3)
At Mohegan Sun Arena
Wednesday, June 14th, 7 p.m. ET
Watch Live on Live Access
Last Game: The Connecticut Sun won 104-71 over the Atlanta Dream at Mohegan Sun Arena on June 10th. The New York Liberty won 94-86 against the Seattle Storm at Madison Square Garden on June 11th.
Players to Watch: Connecticut – Jonquel Jones leads Connecticut this season in both scoring (14.5 ppg) and rebounds (12.8 rpg). She had 20 points and 14 rebounds in the win over Atlanta Saturday. Jasmine Thomas is third on the Sun in scoring (11.7 ppg) and leads the team in assists (4.1 apg). She had 14 points, two rebounds, four assists and three steals against the Dream. Alyssa Thomas ranks third on the team in rebounds (4.7 rpg) and is tied for fourth in scoring (11.6 ppg). She had 18 points and three rebounds against the Dream.
New York – Tina Charles leads New York in both scoring (20.4 ppg) and rebounds (9.3 rpg). She posted 21 points, 14 rebounds and three assists in Sunday’s win over Seattle. Kiah Stokes ranks second on the team in rebounds (8.4 rpg). She had eight points, six rebounds, three blocks and an assist against the Storm. Sugar Rodgers is third on New York in scoring (12.9 ppg) and leads the team in assists (2.9 apg). She added 21 points, two rebounds, five assists, four steals and three blocks in the game.
- The Sun were 0-3 against the Liberty last season.
- Jasmine Thomas (12.0 ppg, 4.7 rpg, 4.3 apg, 2.3 spg), Alex Bentley (10.0 ppg) and Alyssa Thomas (4.7 ppg, 4.0 rpg) led the Sun in the series against New York last year.
- Tina Charles (23.0 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 3.0 apg), Sugar Rodgers (12.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 3.3 apg) and Brittany Boyd (6.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg) led the way for New York in three games against Connecticut last year.
- The Sun scored a season-high 104 points last weekend against the Atlanta Dream.
- Five of Connecticut’s starters – Jonquel Jones (20), Shekinna Stricklen (19), Courtney Williams (19), Alyssa Thomas (18) and Jasmine Thomas (14) – reached double-figures against Atlanta.
- Connecticut’s 33-point win was its largest margin of victory since September 16, 2016 against Dallas, 107-74.
- Jonquel Jones collected her fourth double-double of the season with 20 points and 14 rebounds. It was her second 20-point game of the season. She surpassed 100 rebounds on the season and currently leads the WNBA in rebound average (12.8 rpg).
- Courtney Williams had a season-high four assists.
- Jasmine Thomas (14 points, four assists) posted her fifth game of the season scoring in double-figures. She is ninth in the WNBA in assists (4.1 apg) this season.
- Brionna Jones had career-highs of eight points and four rebounds.
- Tina Charles ranks fifth in the WNBA in scoring and third in rebounds. She posted her fourth double-double of the season against Seattle, and has now scored 20 or more points in five games.
- Kiah Stokes is 7th in the league in rebounds.
- New York leads the league in team rebounds (38.3 rebounds per game).
- The Liberty are currently allowing the lowest field goal percentage to opponents in the WNBA (.394)
Connecticut Sun Head Coach Curt Miller
On practice Tuesday:
“It was a short, intense practice. I thought they really competed today. There was a lot of attention to detail on what we have gone over in film in preparation for New York. So real pleased with the day-before-a-game practice with the intensity that they brought today.”
On the challenge of facing Tina Charles:
“Tina is unbelievable. She is getting 18 to 19 shots a game so there is a lot run through her. She is as good an offensive player as there is in the league and can score in so many different phases so it’s a big challenge for us.”
Next Game: The Connecticut Sun will tip-off against the Minnesota Lynx at the Xcel Energy Center on Saturday, June 17th at 8:00 p.m. ET.